Saturday, December 15, 2012

Birth of a Princess

     I am a huge fan of juvenile stories, young adult stories, and of course tales about princessesI love fun unique stories that are enjoyable for all ages. 
    As far as princesses are concerned, in print and animated media, it felt like there was  an opening for something different and new. I wanted someone to fill this spot. This idea continually pulled at me until finally I it donned on me: I want to be a writer so why not write it myself. It was the easiest solution and why it took days to realize it is beyond me. I had a great opportunity. It was an opportunity for me to write about something I am very passionate about. And that is how the story was born. 

     It was a simple idea: reinvent the princess. I had no scenes, no lines, no characters. I knew what I wanted the story to be like mostly because I knew exactly what I didn't want it to be: ordinary, predictable, purely love-driven.
    
       I wanted to write about a princess that was contemporary Here, I explored the Modern ideal of a Princess. I formulated a character and took her out of the castle and placed her in the city that hummed quietly to a sweet melody (And you could hear it if you only dared to stop and listen for it). 
     "American Princess" is no fairy tale but it is filled with familiar elements like fun, whimsy, and adventure.

     For the first couple of months, I just focused on character development until finally I had the right mixture of zany, quirk, and harmony. Character development is very important. Once you have that aspect the adventure takes off from there. 


     For a while I thought I was a bit crazy to write a story about a modern princess. It turns out it was the best decision I made. I discovered myself as a writer and as a storyteller while I worked on "American Princess". 



3 comments:

  1. I subscribed & commented on your youtube page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on getting back to my vids. It's been a while. Just have too much I want to do.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting.
If you have any comments or questions, please leave me a message.